Thursday, July 1, 2010

Canada Day Marathon 7/01/10 Pg 1

Herb Gayle and Andy Kostka in front of podium

Report from Herb Gayle
Part 1:

"Canada Day Inline Marathon, July 1, 2010. Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

Super fast race from the gun with lots of attacks and of course rolling hills. I got dropped from the leaders after the 1st lap of 3. Andy Kostka stayed in much longer and I believed he finished 'unofficially' 13th overall.

My time was slow and nothing special to write about. There were a few crashes and Andy told me that Morgan Williams crashed just before the finish line in the field sprint. According to Morgan, 'an Ottawa skater by the name of Adrian Loewen, stepped out as he was about to pass him at the line. Morgan said he was okay, but he was walking with a slight limp after the race.

Jacky, a Toronto skater was in my pack at one point or another and he had close call with a car. Apparently, two vehicles had stopped on the race course, which had plenty of signage that a race was in progress. A car and a Ford 150 truck was in the middle of a blind right hand turn. The drivers were talking to a police officer and oblivious to the skaters, so when we came around the right turn which had a slight down hill, I yelled for the cars to get out of the road because it was scary and plain disregard for our safety. Jacky decided to pass the car on the left side as the driver was moving over to the left, next I saw Jacky doing one of those Superman drives onto the grass. I slowed down a bit and lost the second pack that was just a few feet in front of me. I felt bad for Jacky as he bailed on the grass, but he able to get back up and another pack of skaters brought him back to my group."

continued

No comments:

Post a Comment